- 1 tablespoon cocoa butter
- 2 tablespoons beeswax
- ¼ cup coconut base oil (extra-virgin; unrefined)
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon almond, soybean, or apricot kernel base oil
Recommended for: all skin types (but don’t use on areas that are exceptionally oily or blemished)
Use: daily or as desired
Prep time: approximately 20 to 30 minutes, plus overnight to completely set
Blending tools: small whisk or spoon
Store in: plastic or glass jar or tin
Yield: approximately 1 cup
- In a small saucepan over low heat or in a double boiler, warm all ingredients until the coconut oil, beeswax, and cocoa butter are just melted.
- Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool for 5 to 10 minutes, then gently stir with small whisk or spoon for about 1 minute.
- Allow it to cool and thicken a bit more, then continue stirring until the mixture is opaque but pourable. (Setting the pan in a shallow ice-water bath speeds the process.)
- Pour the cream into storage container(s) and cap. Let it set overnight to give the cocoa butter plenty of time to completely harden.
Note: If the temperature is above 76°F, the cream will maintain a softer consistency. (Coconut oil turns from solid to liquid at 76°F.) If the temperature is below 76°F, the cream will be firmer. If it’s too firm for your liking, set the storage container in a shallow pan of hot water for 5 to 10 minutes before use.
No refrigeration is required, but for maximum freshness and potency, please use within 6 to 12 months.
Application tips: Immediately following a bath or shower, while your skin is still damp, slather your body with this cream. Because it’s very concentrated, begin with 1 teaspoon at a time. If skin has an oily residue after 5 minutes, you’ve used too much. Simply wipe off the excess with a coarse towel.