Now that we’re coming into the Fall & Winter Months, we’re noticing a lot of changes in regards to our emotional health. I wanted to put together a recipe that you can use to help stimulate and give you energy while removing emotional roadblocks.
This recipe will be considered INFUSIONS. If feel like many people jump to the more complicated medicine making methods, and while they beneficial in their own right, making infusions requires us to take time to do it. It requires you to be still and present with your medicine.
How to make a Basic Herbal Infusion
A basic herbal infusion can be made from the leaf, flower, & the more delicate or aromatic parts of any nutritive herb that you decide to use.
How to make an herbal infusion:
What you’ll need:
*1 quart of water
*Nutritive Herb(s) of your choosing
- Dried herb : ¼ cup
- Fresh herb : ½ -¾ cup
- Bring water to a boil
- While water is boiling, crush hers in hand or with mortar and pestle to help weaken the plant’s cell walls - this will help with extracting the medicine from the plant. Once done, place herbs in a glass jar or french press.
- Pour hot water over the herbs
- Cover the glass jar to prevent volatile oils from escaping with the steam
- Steep for 5-20 minutes. Steeping time can vary depending on the herb and other factors (ie strength). You can even steep for 8 hours overnight in the light of the moon!
- Filter herbs using a tea strainer and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Drink immediately or within 24 hours of making.
NOTE: some highly aromatic herbs like chamomile and lavender can only steep for 3-5 minutes, or you run the risk of the drink being bitter.
Now on to the recipe!
Melissa, or lemon balm, is a wonderfully relaxing yet gently stimulating herb. It increases energy in the system by helping to release energy blocks and stress.
- 3 parts lemon balm
- 1 part chamomile
- 1 part hawthorn (berries, blossoms, and leaves)
- 1 part lemon verbena
- 1 part St. John’s wort
CAUTION about St. John’s Wort: If you are currently taking anti-depressants, synthetic hormones, birth control, anxiolytics (anxiety medication), you will want to either remove this herb, or supplement it with another nervine like Skullcap or Nettle. Reason being is SJW can leave your birth control ineffective, and can alter the way the other medications mentioned can work.
Combine the herbs via the method of the infusion listed above.
Drink at least 2–3 cups daily, or as needed.
TIP: You can use this recipe as an herbal bath as well!